Although diabetes is a very serious condition, with the right professional help, it can be managed. Here at PanCare Health in Marianna and across Florida, we can help you recognize the symptoms of diabetes and gain control of your health—read on to learn how.
More about Diabetes
Diabetes is a disease that is characterized by high blood sugar, and it can come in two forms:
- Type 1, in which your body is unable to produce insulin,
- Type 2, where your body either can't produce insulin or is incapable of properly utilizing it.
If left undiagnosed or untreated, diabetes can cause serious health problems, including damage to your kidneys, eyes, and nerves. Diabetes can also lead to stroke, heart disease, and the need for limb amputation.
What are the signs of diabetes?
If you are experiencing one or more of the following, contact your Marianna Primary Care doctor:
- Increased, unexplained hunger.
- Tiredness or lethargy
- Extreme thirst and frequent urination
- Prolonged blurred vision
- Dehydration leading to dry mouth or itchy, flaking skin
- Slow healing of cuts and sores
- Yeast infections
- Numbness in your feet or legs
- Unexplained weight gain or loss
How will my Marianna Primary Care doctor determine if I have diabetes?
Your doctor will perform a diagnostic test, which may include one of the following:
- A fasting plasma glucose test: You will fast for at least eight hours, after which your doctor will measure your blood glucose.
- An oral glucose tolerance test: This test will also require you to go without eating for at least eight hours. You will then drink a high-glucose beverage, and after two hours your glucose will be measured.
- Random plasma glucose test: Your doctor will check your blood sugar at any time, not dependent on when you last ate.
Concerned? Contact Us
With a prompt diagnosis, adequate care, and healthy habits, you can successfully live with your diabetes. If you are concerned about diabetes, consult your Marianna Primary Care doctor today at 850-394-4907 for a consultation.